Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Proudest Baking Moment - Brownies



My first baking experiment was when I was in high school. I tried to make brownies out of a box, and I mixed up the water and oil amounts.

Then, the tears came.

Fortunately, my mother came to the rescue. She dried my tears, and ran to the store to get another mix. The brownies were good the second time around, but that experience taught me to always check the quantities!

These brownies are a first for me. I have never even contemplated making brownies from scratch before. I'm not sure why it never even crossed my mind, because brownies are one of my favorite desserts. In a word, these are heavenly! I adapted this recipe from Beth Lipton's You Made That Dessert?


I omitted the espresso powder (none in the house), but I opted to add a half cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Heavenly. Did I mention that already?


This might be my proudest moment of baking. My mother should be so proud!




Fudge Brownies
Makes 24

4 Oz. Unsweetened Chocolate
4 Oz. Semisweet Chocolate
2 Sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder (I did not use)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups chopped walnuts (optional - I did not use)
** 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I added this to the batter.)

Preheat oven to 375 F

Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with foil, overlapping the sides. Mist with cooking spray.

Chop both chocolates, then combine with butter in a saucepan at lowest setting. Cook, stirring constantly with a flexible spatula. Once the chocolate is smooth and melted, remove from heat and pour into large bowl. Cool for 5 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.

In a small cup, dissolve espresso powder into the vanilla extract. Stir into chocolate mixture (I only added the vanilla to the chocolate).

Wisk the eggs and sugar together, then beat them into the chocolate mixture until well combined.

Add the flour mixture, and stir until all components are incorporated. Mix in nuts (if using).

Pour mixture into baking pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes.

Let brownies cool on wire rack.

Use the foil overhang to lift brownies onto cutting board to slice and serve.


YUMMY!




No comments:

Post a Comment