Tuesday, July 27, 2010

It's Just So Pretty




Having mentioned that I had a baby five months ago, losing the baby weight is high on my list of things to do. I’m still looking for a good night’s sleep, an automatic bottle washer/maker, and more time in the day. Obviously, the only thing I can totally control is my weight (generally speaking).


With this in mind, I make a salad most days for my lunch. Boooooorrring, you might think. Me too, up until recently. I discovered that if you put one thing on your salad you really enjoy, it might be an easier pill to swallow. Sometimes I use REAL Ranch dressing, some days I cut up half an avocado, and some days I have extra feta cheese (a fairly new love).


Today, it was BACON. Isn’t everything better with bacon? I used one piece that was cooked all crispy and wonderful, and then I crumbled it in my salad with hopes of me enjoying this daytime treat. Do you know what happened? I actually looked forward to my salad for lunch!


As far as losing weight goes, the only trick I know is that you have to make food you like. If you don’t, you will become discouraged, and eventually raid the fridge like it’s nobody’s business. I know. I had an unusually unhealthy relationship with chocolate chip cookie dough. But that’s a story for another day.


Today’s salad includes both green and Romaine lettuce, chopped tomatoes, red onions, carrots, green and red bell peppers, cucumbers, a hard-boiled egg white, roasted chicken breast, BACON, and my special oil & vinegar dressing. Try this recipe for a refreshing topping to your salad. It’s a pretty basic combination, but the reward is fantastic. I seiously recommend putting real bacon in your salad, too. Makes lunch feel like a treat!


LK’s House Dressing
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ Water
¼ Red Wine Vinegar
1 Splenda packet
Juice of ½ a lemon
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon white pepper
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup olive oil


Combine all ingredients, with the exception of the olive oil. Once everything is well combined, slowly add olive oil. I usually keep this in a sealed Tupperware container and shake it before I add to my salads. Keep remaining dressing in refrigerator for up to three days (it gets yucky after that).

No comments:

Post a Comment