Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thin-Crust Pizza. There Goes the Diet.



I just recently had my second child five and a half months ago. She’s wonderful, beautiful, and perfect, and she joins her 3, almost 4 year old brother. As perfect as she is, she doesn’t sleep. My son is fine once he gets to sleep (after three trips to the potty, a book, his back rubbed, and several 'night-night' games), but my daughter? No way. We have tried so many ways to get her down, and finally - FINALLY, I think we've turned the corner to the luxurious event of all-night sleeping. I realize I’m jinxing this new development as I type. Such is life.


There is a reason for this little nugget of information. After all these months of sleepless nights, my husband and I are feeling a little more energetic. With this newfound energy, we have decided to have an “us” dinner once a week after the kids go to sleep. Once a week, my husband and I will eat like kings. No more cereal for dinner! No more frozen waffles for dinner! No more Lean Cuisines for dinner!


Now, I must warn you. My husband is not very adventurous. In fact, he is so unadventurous he could (and does, unfortunately) eat hot dogs three times a week. His palate is geared toward all things that are kid-friendly and covered in ketchup.


Our “us” dinners will consist of no vegetables, nothing fancy, and nothing your basic toddler won’t eat.


Last night, we tried Brown Eyed Baker’s Thin-Crust Pizza. All I can say is YUM. My husband is so happy with the results, he’s already requested it again - this time TWO - for this weekend. I'm an amazing cook! ** Please know I'm kidding... ***


The crust is easy to make, and it freezes well, too. I made the dough on Sunday and froze it until we were ready on Wednesday. It worked out perfectly. I also used THIS recipe for the sauce. I made it on Sunday and put it in the fridge until Wednesday. WONDERFUL!



Thin-Crust Pizza

Adapted from Cooking Light December 2007, via Brown Eyed Baker

Ingredients:

1 package of active dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon sugar
½ cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees) ** I just ran the water in the faucet until it was warm
1-½ cups all purpose flour, divided
1 tablespoon of olive oil
¼ teaspoon Kosher salt ** I used ½ teaspoon of table salt
2 teaspoons yellow cornmeal ** I didn’t have cornmeal, but I used a sprinkle of Jiffy cornbread mix


Directions:
1. Mix yeast and sugar in large bowl with warm water. Let sit for five minutes.
2. Slowly stir in 1-1/4 flour into to yeast mixture, along with salt.
3. Knead dough (USE YOUR HANDS AND GET DIRTY!) until it is formed into a soft dough.
4. Flour your surface and roll dough until it is sticky, adding flour as you go to keep it from sticking to your fingers.
5. Use another large bowl and coat it in oil (I just used a generous spray of Pam.)
6. Cover and keep in a warm place, free of any drafts. Leave covered for an hour, or until it has doubled in size.
7. Push dough down and let rest for five minutes.
8. Sprinkle surface with remaining flour and roll onto a 14-inch surface, sprinkled with cornmeal. (I rolled out and put on a foil-lined pizza pan.)
9. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
10. Place pan on lowest rack. Sprinkle pizza with olive oil and a dash of salt.
11. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
12. Remove from oven, top with desired toppings, and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
13. Let stand for five minutes before serving.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment