Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Baked Chicken Parmesan




No.

The answer is no.

I'm not Italian (I'm sure if you are, you are laughing at the notion someone might think I am.). I realize there are a lot of pasta dishes on this site (so far!), but the thing is...not too long ago I was a coupon clipper.

And by coupon clipper, I mean COUPON CLIPPER. I sort of went nuts. I was literally getting a 'high' by saving $.30 on a can of tomatoes. My addiction started slowly, but it increasingly got worse. Soon, I would come home with three boxes of floss, six deodorants, and four tubs of Country Crock margarine. We might not be able to pay our electric bill, but we'd have shampoo!

Generally speaking, being addicted to couponing is not a bad thing. However, the madness had to stop once I realized half my pantry was pasta. rotini, fettuccine, spaghetti, penne...the list goes on. I am not kidding when I say half a shelf was devoted to my free-or-almost-free pasta.

I have an overflow of toothpaste, too. However, I think this recipe tastes better.

Baked Chicken Parmesan - serves 2
adapted from Evil Shenanigans

2 Chicken Breasts, boneless & skinless
salt and pepper, to taste
1 egg white
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
2 Cups tomato sauce (I used this recipe, sans meat)
4 ounces uncooked pasta (Use whatever you like. I had LOTS of spaghetti, so that's what we used)


Preheat oven to 450 degrees, and line a baking sheet with foil. Lightly spray cooking spray on foil.

Pound the chicken breasts until they are 1/2" thick, and season both sides with salt and pepper.

In small bowl, whisk egg white until frothy.

In another bowl, add panko bread crumbs and Italian seasoning.

Dredge chicken in egg white first, shaking off any excess egg white. Then drop in panko bread crumb mixture. Turn to coat.

Put both chicken breasts on lined baking sheet and let sit for ten minutes. This helps the breadcrumbs set.

Bake for 20 minutes (or until internal temperature is 155 degrees). Remove chicken from oven and add sauce, then top with cheese. Continue to bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese bubbles.

Remove chicken from oven and let sit for five minutes before serving.

While chicken is baking, prepare pasta as directed. Toss pasta with sauce, then top with chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment