Friday, August 27, 2010

Oatmeal Toffee Cookies - Dream, Dream, Dream


I have always wanted to own my own bake shop. Nothing but coffee, muffins, cookies, coffee cakes, and cupcakes.

And books. Lots of them.

In order to fulfill my bakery-slash-bookstore dream, I'm going to cook a few bakery items each week to at least know I would at least have the repertoire for this venture. Keep in mind, I'm a TERRIBLE baker. So this experiment will go well, I'm sure.

Nothing is going to be fancy. That's a guarantee. But the idea of the house (and in my mind, the bookstore) smelling like vanilla and cinnamon makes me happy. Really happy.

Here is a cookie recipe I LOVE. The more I practice my baking, I'm hopeful I can improve. This cookie is one of the best I've ever done. I love the chewiness, along with the sweetness. It's a great combination, and to top it off...my husband AND my son love these. I'll be making these again.





Oatmeal Toffee Cookies
Adapted from Cooking Light, Annual Recipes 2009
Makes 2 Dozen

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/3 cup almond toffee bits (I crushed two SKOR candy bars - no toffee bits in my house!)
Cooking spray

* Preheat oven to 350 degrees
* Combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt in medium sized bowl
* In a larger bowl, combine sugar and butter. Mix on medium speed until well blended; add vanilla and egg. Beat well.
* Add flour mixture and beat until all is combined.
* Add toffee bits (I also added a few semi-sweet chocolate chips)
* Coat baking sheets with cooking spray and drop cookie dough in tablespoon balls on sheet roughly 2 inches apart.
* Push cookies down with fingers to even amounts.
* Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, rotating cooking sheet in oven halfway through.
* Cool on pan for at least one minute; transfer to wire rack to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment