Monday, August 16, 2010

Coffee Cake Muffins - Oh... Emm... Gee...

Confession time. 

I once had a job as a donut fryer at I.G.A. Supermarket. 
The hours were from 4AM to 1PM.
I had to stand over a fryer until the store opened to the public at 7AM.
Then, I had the pleasure of helping customers.
After I'd been over the fryer for three hours.  After I'd been over the fryer for three hours.
AFTER I'D BEEN OVER THE FRYER FOR THREE HOURS.

I lasted one day. 

As it turns out, early mornings, frying food, and then trying to be presentable for the public was just not my gig.

These, however, are soooooo my gig.  I almost want to get up at 4 AM to make these babies just so I can relive the 'good ol' days' of my donut frying career.

Who am I kidding?  I'll just get up at 4 AM to eat these.  You will, too.  Promise.

Cinnamon-Sugar Crusted Coffee Cake Muffins
from Can You Stay for Dinner?

(Makes 12)

1 3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup milk

For the Cinnamon-Sugar topping:

1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon together until blended.

In a large separate bowl, combine the oil, sugar and egg.

Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ones.  Mix just enough to combine.

Coat your muffin pan liberally with cooking spray.  Divide mix into each cup evenly.

Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a bowl.  Combine the sugar and cinnamon in separate bowl.

Once the muffins are done, run a knife on the edges to pop them out of the muffin tray while they are still hot.  Let them cool for about five minutes, or just long enough to be able to hold them.

Then, the fun begins.

Dip them in butter, then go straight to the sugar/cinnamon mix and douse them in there.

Let cool and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment