Monday, August 9, 2010

Macaroni & Cheese - The King of Comfort


It is 100 degrees outside along with 100% humidity. Nothing screams SUMMERTIME like macaroni & cheese, right? I know this is typically a winter comfort food, but hear me out.

On days like that, when I am particularly longing for colder weather, I create it at home. My husband protests like a maniac, but I think we both realize at this point that his protests fall on deaf ears. One night is just fine.

I put the air conditioning on to 70 (I would go lower, but I do know my limits with Brian.). Not only do I put the air down, but I also put on my comfy winter pajamas.  And I make comfort food. Some days it’s soup, some days it’s chicken-fried steak, and some days it’s macaroni and cheese.

It’s funny how thinking it’s cold outside makes me feel warm inside. I love feeling cozy and snuggly. This does the trick, every single time.


Creamy Macaroni & Cheese

8 oz. Macaroni (I used Penne - I feel more adult if I use Penne instead of Macaroni)

2 Tbsp. butter

2 Tbsp. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. dry mustard

2 cups milk

1/2 cup cheddar cheese, divided

1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, divided

2 Laughing Cow swiss cheese wedges

Black pepper, to taste

1) Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.

2) Melt 2 T. butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Gradually, add flour and salt.  Stir until mixture is smooth. Stir in dry mustard. Add milk gradually, whisking constantly (this is IMPORTANT!!).

3) Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 4-5 minutes.

4) Stir in the cheddar, the mozzarella, and the Laughing Cow wedges, stirring constantly until you get the creaminess you want. Pour drained pasta into sauce pan, coating all noodles with cheese sauce.

5) Add black pepper, if desired, and serve while lounging in your favorite flannel pajamas.  It's ideal to have a terrible reality tv show or a sappy Lifetime move at the ready also.

No comments:

Post a Comment